ADD, ADHD, Autism and Sensory Spectrum Disorders:
We do not “treat” Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
However, since ADHD appears as a neurological disorder and chiropractic care helps reduce nervous system interference, many parents who want a natural and drug free solution for their child have found chiropractic care helpful and life changing for their child.
The classic signs that parents and teachers notice:
- Inattention, hyperactivity and being easily distracted
- Difficulty concentrating and sitting still
- Inability to control impulsive thoughts and behaviors
- Easily distracted by noises and activities
- Always moving—fingers, hands, arms, feet or legs
The most common treatment is drugging the child with a Class 2 psychotropic drug. The artificial approach to controlling symptoms of ADHD is to administer regular doses of methylphenidate. More commonly known as Ritalin®.
Ritalin® is a schedule II controlled substance related to, and producing similar effects as, amphetamines and cocaine. The side effects, including personality changes and permanent changes to the brain, cause many parents to look for alternatives. More and more are wisely turning to chiropractic.
Hyperactivity is a sign of nervous system imbalances and we as pediatric chiropractors look for disturbances to the child’s nervous system. We almost always see problems caused by the spinal distortions in the upper neck.
In fact, this link between the spine, brain stem dysfunction and ADHD is common. A thorough chiropractic examination can reveal noticeable spinal distortion, even a reversal of the normal neck curve. With a schedule of safe and natural chiropractic adjustments, these often resolve, reducing and nervous system tension.
As a wellness chiropractic we will often educate parents on things they can do at home to help with their child’s sensory disorder. The number one thing we suggest is by making nutritional and lifestyle changes.
Rule out toxic environmental factors by reducing your child’s exposure to substances that are increasingly common these days:
- Remove food dyes, preservatives and additives from the diet.
- Focus on natural, organic foods grown without pesticides or herbicides.
- Determine if an allergy involved such as dairy or gluten and eliminate.
- Eliminate all sugars and artificial sweeteners.
- Reduce the use of cleaning agents, detergents, fabric softeners and other chemicals.
These are wise choices whether your child has the symptoms associated with ADHD or not!
As parents, we want the best for our children. If your child exhibits the symptoms of ADHD, you know it affects virtually everyone your child is in contact with. Before you submit to drug therapy, make an appointment for a chiropractic evaluation. Call our office today!